With all this talk about Video being the way to go online, is there still a place for Display ads in the mix? We at Cordelia Labs think so. While Video has the ability to bring sight, sound and motion, Display ads can be just as engaging. Partnering with the right Creative Designers and Producers is first and foremost key. Having the right Media Agency to navigate each platform and the targeting will allow for your Brand to be in the right place in front of the right person. Below we will discuss some key tips for both developing the right Display Ad as well as the Targeting tactics we use.
What Are Display Ads
Display ads are a form of online advertising that use images, videos, or other multimedia elements to promote a product, service, or brand. These ads are typically displayed on websites, social media platforms, or mobile apps. They are designed to capture the attention of users and encourage them to click on the ad for more information or to make a purchase. Display ads can be highly visual and interactive, allowing advertisers to engage with their target audience in a more dynamic way compared to traditional text-based ads.
Display ads are important because they can be used across the entire Marketing funnel. From awareness to conversion and retargeting, here are a few reasons why display ads are important:
Increased visibility: Display ads are prominently displayed on websites, social media platforms, and mobile apps, ensuring that they are seen by a large number of users. This increased visibility can help businesses reach a wider audience and increase their online presence.
Targeted advertising: Display ads can be targeted to specific demographics, interests, and behaviors. This allows businesses to show their ads to the most relevant audience, increasing the chances of engagement and conversion.
Visual impact: Display ads are highly visual and can incorporate eye-catching images, videos, and animations. This visual impact helps to capture the attention of users and make the ad more memorable.
Increased engagement: Display ads can be interactive, allowing users to click, swipe, or interact with the ad in some way. This increased engagement can lead to higher click-through rates and conversions.
Retargeting opportunities: Display ads can be used for retargeting, which means showing ads to users who have previously visited a website or shown interest in a product or service. This allows businesses to remind potential customers of their offerings and encourage them to make a purchase.
Overall, display ads are an important component of a comprehensive online advertising strategy. They offer businesses the opportunity to reach a wide audience, engage with users in a dynamic way, and increase brand visibility and conversions.
Where Are Display Ads Found?
Display ads can be found across pretty much every media channel throughout the internet.
Websites: Display ads can be found on various websites, including news sites, blogs, and e-commerce platforms. These ads are typically displayed in the form of banners, sidebars, or pop-ups.
Social media platforms: Many social media platforms, such as Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter, offer display ad options. These ads can be targeted based on users’ demographics, interests, and behavior, allowing advertisers to reach their desired audience effectively.
Mobile apps: Display ads can also be seen within mobile apps, such as gaming apps, news apps, and utility apps. These ads are often integrated seamlessly into the app’s interface and can be displayed as banners, interstitials, or native ads.
Search engines: While search engines primarily display text-based ads, they also offer display ad options. These ads can be shown alongside search results or on partner websites within the search engine’s ad network.
Research Ad Platform and Audience Before Launching
Researching the ad platform and audience is crucial for the success of display ads. By understanding the ad platform, advertisers can determine if it aligns with their target audience and if it offers the necessary features and targeting options to effectively reach their desired audience. Different ad platforms have different capabilities and reach, so it is important to choose the platform that best suits the goals and objectives of the advertising campaign.
Additionally, researching the audience is essential for creating targeted and persuasive display ads. By understanding the demographics, interests, and behavior of the target audience, advertisers can tailor their messaging and creative elements to resonate with the audience and increase the chances of engagement and conversion. This research helps advertisers identify the right keywords, images, and calls to action that will capture the attention and interest of the target audience.
Ultimately, researching the ad platform and audience allows advertisers to optimize their display ads for maximum impact and return on investment. It helps them make informed decisions about where and how to display their ads, ensuring that they are reaching the right person with persuasive words.
Deeper Look Into the Importance of Targeting
Targeting is crucial in Display advertising as it allows advertisers to reach the right audience with their ads. By targeting specific demographics, interests, or behaviors, advertisers can ensure that their ads are shown to users who are most likely to be interested in their products or services. This not only increases the chances of engagement and conversion but also helps optimize ad spend by minimizing wasted impressions on irrelevant audiences.
Effective targeting in display ads can be achieved through various methods, such as:
1. Demographic targeting: This involves targeting users based on their age, gender, income level, or location. Advertisers can tailor their ads to resonate with specific demographic groups and increase relevance.
2. Interest-based targeting: Advertisers can target users based on their interests and preferences, as inferred from their online behavior, social media activity, or search history. This allows for more personalized and relevant ad experiences.
3. Behavioral targeting: By analyzing users’ past behaviors, such as website visits, purchases, or interactions with ads, advertisers can target users who exhibit similar behaviors. This helps in reaching users who are more likely to convert.
4. Contextual targeting: This involves targeting users based on the content they are currently viewing or engaging with. Advertisers can choose relevant keywords or categories to ensure their ads are displayed in relevant contexts.
Overall, effective targeting in display ads ensures that the right message reaches the right person at the right time, increasing the chances of driving desired actions and achieving campaign objectives.
Display Ads Best Copy Practices
The goal of your ad copy is to capture attention, convey your message effectively, and drive action. By following these best practices, you can create compelling and persuasive display ads that resonate with your target audience and drive results.
- Test and optimize: Continuously test different variations of your ad copy to see what resonates best with your target audience. Use A/B testing to compare different versions and optimize your copy for better performance.
- Tailor your copy to the target audience: Consider the demographics, interests, and behaviors of your target audience when crafting your ad copy. Use language and messaging that resonates with them.
- Use persuasive language: Use persuasive language to convince users to click on your ad. Use words like “exclusive,” “limited time offer,” or “guaranteed” to create a sense of urgency and value.
- Highlight benefits: Focus on the benefits of your product or service rather than just its features. Show users how your offering can solve their problems or improve their lives.
- Include a strong call to action: Encourage users to take action by including a clear and compelling call to action in your ad copy. Use action words and create a sense of urgency to drive conversions.
- Keep it concise: Display ads have limited space, so make sure your copy is concise and to the point. Use clear and concise language to convey your message effectively.
- Use compelling headlines: Grab the attention of your audience with a catchy headline that highlights the unique selling proposition of your product or service.
If you are curious about how to write display ad copy that grab your audience’s attention, check out Big Sea’s blog, “How to Write Display Ads That Actually Get Clicks”.
The Right Person For You
At Cordelia Labs, we believe in the power of the right type of creative will work if you have the right data to support your target audience. When we have effective Display ads (that our friends at Big Sea can create) and the right ad copy that reflects your business and your target audience, it’s a win-win. Contact us today and let’s get your display ads up and running.